Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have no idea where this recipe came from. I have had it for years, though. It is great on grilled chicken breasts or roast fowl. The yield depends on the volume of the whipped cream, approximately 2 cups. Preparation time includes roasting the garlic and whipping the cream.
- 2 garlic heads, whole unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 eggs, separated, yolks slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peak
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut off bottom of garlic heads.
- Place on aluminum foil.
- Cut off top third of garlics.
- Drizzle 1/2 of oil on cut surfaces, replace tops.
- Drizzle the remaining oil on garlic.
- Wrap loosely and place in hot oven.
- Roast for 15 - 30 minutes.
- You can tell when it's ready by the aroma.
- Remove garlic from oven and let cool.
- While garlic is cooling, whip the cream.
- Peel the garlic and push it through a sieve or food mill.
- In the top of a bain marie, combine garlic paste with lemon juice and stir in the yolks.
- Over simmering water, whisk the garlic, juice and yolk mixture. Be careful to cook very slowly or you will have lovely garlic scrambled eggs.
- At the ribbon stage, add the wine.
- Continue whisking until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, continuing to whisk, until cooled slightly.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.