Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe Source: Health I haven't made this yet but it sounds great.
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 (1 1/4 lb) Cornish hens
- 6 rosemary sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix garlic and chopped rosemary together in a small bowl.
- Rinse each hen under cold water; pat dry. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast by gently inserting fingers between skin and meat. Place about 2 teaspoons of garlic mixture under skin and spread evenly over breast meat. Place 1 rosemary sprig in body cavity. Sprinkle hens with salt and pepper.
- Tie ends of legs together with cord. Lift wing tips out and tuck under hen. Place hens on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; bake for 1 hour or until juices run clear. Remove skin and cord before serving; split hens in half lengthwise.
I love the technique of loosening the skin and putting herbs underneath it. I used some lemon thyme in addition to the garlic and rosemary, and also some lovely chive blossoms - no point in letting them go to waste with a hard frost promised for tonight. Added chives to the rosemary in the cavity. Herbs flavored the chicken and the pan juices. Lovely.
Boy, oh Boy, this was delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, but basted with Smart Balance butter every 15-20 minutes or so. I adjusted the recipe for only 2 Cornish Game Hens as I was only cooking for my husband and I. I wouldn't change a thing! Made for Photo Tag.