Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Really good bread to go with Italian dinners. This bread is made in a really unique way.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut off pointed end of garlic , place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon water. Fold in foil to seal.
- Bake at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes or until garlic is tender.Reduce oven temp to 200°F Remove garlic from oven and let cool. Squeeze pulp from garlic cloves into a small bowl and mash pulp with a fork until smooth. Stir in lemon rind and next 4 ingredients.
- Roll dough into a 12 inch sqaure on a lightly foured surface. Spread garlic mixture over dough; roll up, jellyroll style. Place dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, bring ends together forming a ring and pinch ends to seal.Cut 1 inch slits along top of dough. Turn oven off;place dough ring in oven. Let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.Remove from oven, brush dough with egg, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Increase oven temp to 375°F Using a water bottle, spray each interior wall of oven 2 or 3 times before closing oven door. Do not spray dough.
- Bake at 375F for 18 to 20 minutes until golden.