This is a flavourful and healthy alternative to traditional Alfredo sauce. Use with flat pastas like fettuccine. The recipe is from "Conscious Cuisine: A New Style of Cooking from the Kitchens of Chef Cary Neff" based on the cuisine he developed while chef at Miraval Spa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted shallot
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Stir in the roasted garlic and shallots and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until reduced and the pan is almost dry, about 3 to 5 minutes, to concentrate the flavors of the sauce. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2Mix in the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- 3Place the ricotta cheese and about 1/3 of a cup of the garlic mixture into a blender. With the blender on, slowly pour the remaining sauce through the opening in the blender lid; the sauce will thicken.
- 4Transfer the sauce back into the saucepan and stir in the basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- 5Use the sauce immediately, or cool quickly by setting in a bowl of ice and water. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or freeze for about 1 month.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Garlic-Ricotta Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (35 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 38.8
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free ricotta cheese