Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A hearty pureed soup with lots of flavor. Good with hot rolls or French bread. Try to find a fennel bulb with some fronds (leaves) still attached. Trim these off and save some for garnish.
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 44.37 ml olive oil, divided
- 3 leeks, white and pale green parts
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1182.95 ml low sodium chicken broth (or use vegetable broth)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, chopped fine (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 59.16 ml nonfat plain yogurt
- fennel leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F while peeling garlic cloves.
- Place garlic cloves in small baking pan; add 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and stir to coat well. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden.
- In large heavy saucepan heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add leeks and fennel; saute until mixture begins to brown slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, roasted garlic, thyme and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Puree soup, in batches, in food processor or blender. Return to sauce pan and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among 4 bowls and top each with a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Garnish with a bit of chopped fennel leaves, if desired.
I already had some roasted garlic in the fridge and I had leeks and fennel!!! I added 10 extra cloves which was a total of 3 heads. Also added 3 cups more broth as it seemed pretty thick - maybe my vegies were the xlarge size??? but awesome flavor and will definitely make again
I roasted all the garlic I had in the house, which was one very large head. Used 2 Fennel and 3 Leeks and made the rest as directed. I used my immersion blender right in the pot. It was a great soup for the cold autumn day. Very healthy and robust -- being all vegetarian -- and I'll make it again. Thanks!
Super simple and delicious