Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Roasted garlic adds a wonderful mellow garlicy flavour to the kugel.
- 4 lbs potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 large carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (green part only)
- 1 head garlic, roasted and mashed
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- To roast the garlic, cut a thin slice off of the top of the garlic and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Wrap the garlic in tin foil and bake in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Remove the cloves from the skin and mash well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grate the potatoes, onions, carrot and zucchini together (use a food processor if you have one, careful with the fingers if you don't).
- Place in colander and drain well squeezing out the excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and mix in salt, black pepper, melted margarine, mashed garlic and matzo meal.
- Add the green onions, and drained potato mixture and combine well.
- Add the oil to a 9" x 13" greased baking dish and heat in the oven throughly.
- Spread the potato mixture in the pan (it should sizzle).
- Sprinkle top evenly with paprika.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until nicely browned and crispy on top.