Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
This is a pizza for Adults. I, not being an anchovy fan, left them out. My BFF made this for her fanily and she said you cannot even taste them. It is up to you really.
- 1 head garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 lb of your favorite pizza dough, cut into 2 pieces
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Set a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a pie dish, toss the garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Cover tightly with foil and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly, then squeeze the softened garlic cloves into a mini food processor. Increase the oven temperature to 550° and allow at least 20 minutes for the stone to come to temperature.
- In a small skillet, cook the anchovies in the remaining oil over moderate heat until they are nearly dissolved, about 1 minute. Scrape the oil into the processor, add the oregano and crushed red pepper and process to a paste.
- Wipe out the skillet. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the fat is rendered but the bacon is not browned, about 2 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch 1 piece of the pizza dough out to a 14-inch round. Transfer the dough to a floured pizza peel. Spread half of the roasted-garlic paste all over the dough, leaving a »-inch border. Sprinkle with half of the bacon, mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake until bubbling and golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pizza to a work surface and top with half of the arugula. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.