- Separate head of garlic into individual cloves.
- Toss in olive oil and wrap tightly in small piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes.
- When the garlic has cooled to the touch you should be able to squeeze it out of the 'paper' shell of the individual cloves.
- Mash the roasted garlic with a fork, or force through a fine strainer.
- If you use a ricer as recommended below, simply rice the garlic along with the potatoes.
- Peel and boil potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Force the cooked potatoes through a ricer (recommended) or mash by your usual method.
- Put the riced potatoes, garlic, sour cream, butter, and salt and white pepper in a mixer bowl, and whip at medium speed until smooth.
- Add cream or milk to adjust consistency.