Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great way to combine garlic & buttermilk.
- 1 medium head garlic, papery skin removed and top sliced off to expose cloves
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fat-free buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350. Wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil; bake until the cloves are soft, 40-60 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; squeeze the pulp from the cloves into a small bowl.
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes, bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid; discard the bay leaf.
- With a potato masher or an electric mixer at low speed, mash the potatoes with the garlic, buttermild, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; thin with the cooking liquid, if needed.