Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great sauce for pasta, vegetables or over grilled meat. Gourmet & elegant. Prepare just as stated, or add fresh herbs such as basil, tarragon, dill, or thyme. Adapted from Vegetarians in Paradise.
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 1⁄4 cup macadamia nuts, ground coarsely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or Bragg Liquid Aminos or Tamari)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (or soy milk)
- Remove skins from both heads of garlic, peeling down to the cloves. Do not remove the skins covering the individual cloves.
- Wrap both garlic heads together in aluminum foil, shiny side inside. Place the foil package on a baking pan, and roast at 375°F for 1 hour.
- While garlic is roasting, toast macadamia nuts in a non-stick skillet over high heat, tossing nuts constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Cool the nuts and coarsely grind them (in a mill if on-hand). Set aside.
- When garlic is thru roasting, open the foil carefully, and allow the heads to cool slightly.
- Break off each clove and squeeze out its contents into the food processor, squeezing from the tip down to the opening at the base.
- Add salt, pepper, water, soy sauce, and cream and process to a creamy consistency.
- Transfer to a 2-quart saucepan and warm over medium heat. Stir in ground macadamia nuts.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.