Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe courtesy From Emeril's Kitchens, by Emeril Lagasse. Different way of preparing chicken and best part is that it's all done in 1 or 2 pans depending on how large of an oven proof skillet you have. The herbs and the garlic glaze are just heavenly to smell and devour. This was a huge hit in my home and even the kid enjoyed it. Prep time includes the 1 hour for roasting the garlic as this can be done ahead of time.
For the Chicken
- 4 chicken legs (leg & thigh separated)
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence (Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning here on zaar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
For the Roasted Garlic Glaze
- 3 heads garlic
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the Lemon Herb Sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as basil, parsley, chives, and oregano; can use dried, but fresh is better)
- For the Roasted Garlic Glaze:.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut off the top third of each head of garlic.
- Put them on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle 2 tablespoons of the oil over the tops, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Turn the garlic cut side down and roast until the cloves are soft and golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Into a food processor squeeze each head of garlic gently to release the flesh.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and puree on high speed.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of oil in a slow, steady stream and process until the glaze is thick and smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- (The glaze can be made up to 1 day in advance).
- For the Chicken:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Separate the legs& thighs.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the Essence.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in each of 2 large ovenproof skillets over medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken pieces skin side down in the hot pans and sear for 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 sprigs of thyme to each pan, and place in the oven.
- Roast for 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully turn the chicken halves with tongs.
- Brush the skin side of each chicken with the garlic glaze and roast skin side up until the skin is crisp, about 10 minutes longer.
- For the Lemon Herb Sauce:.
- In a small saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor.
- Add the mustard and process on high speed.
- With the motor running, add the lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs, and process until smooth.
- Serve immediately.