Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This soup is so easy. I usually make it up once every couple weeks and freeze it and its ready for a quick, light lunch or a side.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Brush cut surfaces with vegetable oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Scatter garlic cloves in center of pan (you may need two pans).
- Bake until potatoes are very soft, about 25-60 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Scoop out potato pulp from skins and place in a blender (you may need to do this in several batches depending on the size of your blender and the size of the sweet potato).
- Squeeze garlic cloves from their skin (use to taste, I used about 2), and place in blender with ginger.
- Whirl potatoes, adding broth slowly as needed to produce a puree.
- Transfer puree to a large pot and stir in remaining broth and water until desired thickness (as you heat the soup it will thicken so you may need to add more water as it heats).
- Heat over medium low, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until hot.
- Soup keeps well frozen or in the refrigerator.