Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yum yum yum. If you like garlic you will love this. If you don't usually like garlic, you might like this because the garlic is roasted, the flavor mellows and has a sweeter taste (like caramelized). Sour cream may be substituted with plain yogurt to cut some calories. This is great for dipping veggies such as artichokes, asparagus, or whatever, it's really versatile.
- Cut off top of garlic bulb to expose most of the garlic cloves.
- Put the bulb in an oven-safe small dish or on top of a sheet of foil.
- Drizzle olive oil on the tops of the garlic cloves, add more if needed to drench the tops and sides of the whole bulb. Sprinkle some salt on the top of the bulb on the oil.
- Wrap or seal up the garlic bulb with foil.
- Roast in oven at 400°F for 30-40 minutes, until tops and sides are browned and roasted.
- Take out of the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- When cooled enough to handle, squeeze out the garlic cloves from the root or the bottom of the bulb, into a small bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and sour cream, using a fork, stir until blended.
- Add pepper to taste, and salt if needed.
i was out of good oil and didn't really want to add the extra fat so i used parmesan instead (illogical substitutions anyone?), i also used reduced fat mayo and sour cream and added some dill. this was very tasty. dipped some oven fries in it and think i'll also pair it with pretzels
Great sauce - I used it for wraps in place of mayo. Exactly what I was looking for!