Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the only way I will roast a chicken. The rosemary, garlic and lemon give it such a wonderful flavor.
- 3 heads garlic
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temp. divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 -7 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Chop 2 cloves garlic from 1 head, reserve Cut off top third of all 3 garlic heads and discard.
- Grate 2 tsp zest from lemon; cut lemon in half.
- Combine chopped garlic& zest with 1 tbsp butter, chopped rosemary, 1/4 tsp salt& 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Separate chicken skin from breast; spread butter mixture over breast meat, place lemon halves, 1 garlic head and rosemary sprigs in cavity.
- Spread remaining butter over skin; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt& 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Place chicken on rack in roasting pan; add remaining garlic heads to roasting pan; roast for about 2 hrs or until juices run clear when pierced with fork; transfer to serving platter; let stand 10 minutes before carving Meanwhile, place broth in bowl; stir in flour& remaining salt& pepper; reserve Place roasting pan over two burners on high; add wine, cook stirring constantly about 1 minute; add broth mixture;cook stirring constantly until thickened;2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat;strain if necessary; serve chicken with gravy.
- Serve roasted garlic cloves from heads with chicken.
Just made this yesterday and everyone enjoyed very much. Had my Nephew over for dinner and he is the pickiest eater I've ever ran across, but he devoured his portion of this chicken! Personally, I enjoyed the wonderful gravy the most and was surprised at how easy it was to make. The only thing I did do wrong was used some rosemary from the snow covered garden in the cavity and should have used fresh store bought. The stuff from the garden gave the chicken a slight bitter taste and definately learned my lesson with that. Excellent chicken recipe Boca Pat and will be enjoying this again very soon!
Just heavenly. I added some fresh thyme, just because I had some, and it only took an hour and half to roast, probably because my chicken was fairly small. I'm pretty sure this recipe will cure whatever ails you, and keep vampires away, to boot. Many thanks!