Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
A nice soup to serve for lunch followed by a light salad. This soup is for garlic lovers! If you wish the meal to be lighter just leave out the chicken.
- 2 heads garlic, whole, unpeeled, just the tops cut off the heads to expose the tip of the cloves
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cube
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated provolone cheese
- Place garlic heads,upright,in a shallow 8 cup casserole, ovenproof, dish.
- Pour a 1/2 cup of chicken stock over the garlic.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour.
- Allow buds to cool, then squeeze the garlic puree from the skins.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet,stir in the dill.
- Add bread cubes and toss, cook until cubes are crisp (about 5 minutes), set aside.
- In a saucepan combine the 4 cups of chicken stock, chicken, garlic puree, wine, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Pour hot soup into 4 oven proof soup bowls.
- Add croutons, sprinkle with the cheese.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and serve.
This soup came in really handy when my hubbie came down with a cold over Xmas. Very tasty..
I looked high and low for a recipe for garlic chicken soup, because I'd heard these were the two best ways to treat a cold. This soup was hearty, delicious, filling, and overall a huge hit with my guests. Don't be afraid of the two bulbs of garlic- it was much more subtle than you might expect, and did not come across as overpowering at all. We didn't have ovenproof bowls, so I just microwaved the soup with cheese on top at the end for about 35 seconds, and that worked fine. Instead of grated Provolone I used circular slices that melted well. To sum it up, a delicious soup that can be the centerpiece of your meal, lunch or dinner.