Cook1 hr 10 mins
A definite guy-pleasing burger. Mellow roasted garlic seasons the meat and the finished burger rests in a nest inside a "bun" of crusty bread. Quick to put together if you make the Roasted Garlic Paste ahead. The garlic recipe will leave you with extra for other uses. Prep and cook times include both garlic and burger recipes.
- Roasted Garlic Paste: Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove any loose papery skins from the outside of the garlic heads; cut off the top 1/3 of the heads to open the cloves; set aside for another use; place the heads in a small baking dish, cut sides up; pour olive oil over them and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish tightly and bake until 3/4 done, about 45 minutes; uncover and continue to bake another 15 minutes or until the cloves begin to pop out of their skins and brown; cool.
- Squeeze the cloves out of their skins into a bowl; add the oil from the baking dish and mix well, forming a paste.
- Store, refrigerated, up to one week.
- Burgers: Mix the hamburger, salt, pepper and garlic; form 2 burgers, 3" thick, to a size that will fit inside the bread with a 1/2" border all the way around.
- Split the 2 bread sections and pull out some of the soft center from both sides to make a nest for the burger; toast the cut sides under the broiler or on a grill.
- Broil or grill burgers to desired doneness; place in bread nest and add condiments of choice.
Well, being the garlic lover from hell I used 3 heads of garlic and I have to say these burgers are FANTASTIC!!! There was nothing left between my honey & me. I threw a couple of slices of onion into the pan & cooked along with the burgers then threw the onion on top w/some cheese, heirloom tomato & bib lettuce. The second time I felt a bit lazy & just had them with cheese, absolutely delicious & well worth trying! Thanks for the recipe!!!
Lovely flavor! I pan-grilled huuuuge patties. Also skipped the bread because I didn't have any on hand and was too lazy and shiftless to go get some, but these were still out of this world delish! My dad and husband enjoyed them as much as I did. Thank you!