Recipe by Diamond Joe
Nothing compliments Sunday Dinner better than garlic bread! This is a bit of a twist on a classic.
Top Review by ~SarahBeth~
Well we did not serve this with our favorite Italian meal, but that is ok, because we LOVE garlic. Acting on intuition I doubled the butter recipe and then let it sit over night and through the next day (to make for supper the next night). I am so glad i made double the recipe because I can keep this on hand for more bread or heck, evne to spread on toast! I love the roasted garlic mmm just loved it! I did use light butter because of dietary restrictions. Thanks for posting Joe! We loved this! Made for my adopted baby for PAC Spring 2010!
- 1 loaf crustly Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350 and cut garlic bread in half horizontally, place on baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- remove all of the garlic bulbs from the head and pop them from their skin. Arrange them on a seperate piece of aluminum foil and drizzle them in extra virgin olive oil.
- fold the foil over so it makes a pouch and bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the garlic turns gold and soft. Remove from oven and cool.
- Mash the garlic(it should be soft now) or pulse it in the food processor. Mix the paste with the room temperature butter until evenly mixed. Refrigerate it at this point for 30 minutes. Make sure its mixed very well.
- Coat the sliced bread in extra virgin olive oil and bake for 10 minutes or until the bread is slightly crispy, not toasted. Let cool slightly.
- Spread the roasted garlic butter on the bread. Sprinkle the basil and cheeses on the bread and bake for 12-15 minutes or until toasted.
- Serve with your favorite Italian meal.