Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An elegant meal perfect for entertaining can be easy and quick - the beef and polenta is a terrific example.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 354.88 ml 10% half-and-half or 354.88 ml 18% table cream, divided
- 177.44 ml cornmeal
- 4 beef steaks, tenderloin medallions each about 2-inches thick
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml canadian parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 29.58 ml fresh basil or 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F '.
- In a deep saucepan, bring 1 cup of the cream and 2 1/2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in an ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium-low and sauté for about 5 minutes or until golden; transfer half to a bowl, set skillet aside.
- Mash reserved garlic with 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper in bowl; stir into boiling cream mixture.
- Gradually pour in cornmeal, while stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for about15 minutes or until polenta is thick.
- Meanwhile, return skillet, with garlic, to high heat; heat until sizzling. Season beef medallions with salt and pepper; add to skillet and sear each side for 1 minute.
- Transfer to oven and roast for about 15 minutes for medium-rare or until desired doneness.
- Transfer beef to a warmed plate; tent with foil.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and pour in wine; boil, scraping up brown bits for 1 minute.
- Whisk flour into remaining cream, gradually whisk into skillet. Simmer, whisking for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir Parmesan and basil into polenta and divide among serving plates; place beef on top and spoon sauce over top.