Recipe by Tish
Found this recipe in the newspaper recently and I think it's great!
Top Review by Paris D
We omitted the Chinese eggplant because neither of us likes eggplant. In its place, we added chopped carrots and chopped, seeded tomatoes (we scooped out the seeds and discarded them). This dish is incredibly good. The roasting process brings out the sweetness of the vegetables and the balsamic vinegar enhances it. The avocado is a fantastic addition at the end. Definitely don't leave it out!
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 leek (white part only)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Chinese eggplant, cut in-half lengthwise and sliced
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken, cook and cut into cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 16 slices (ripe)
- fresh basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all vegetables in a large roasting pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, blend 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Pour the blended ingredients over the vegetables and toss until covered well.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes stirring twice.
- Cook pasta and put aside.
- Cook and cut chicken and put aside Remove vegetables from the oven and pour the remaining balsamic vinegar over the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, chicken, chicken broth. Portion into 8 pasta bowls.
- Put two slices avocado and a fresh basil leaf on each one.