Very yummy soup! Good for what ails you! Low cal, easy to make. Recipe came from Prevention Magazine.
- 1 garlic head, seperated and peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (sodium reduced)
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded escarole (, I use Kale "or" Spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup small shell pasta (shells, macaroni etc)
- salt (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Allow garlic to sit for 15 mins.
- Then wrap garlic in foil and place in a small casserole.
- Bake 45 to 50 mins or until soft when squeezed.
- Warm oil in a soup pot over med heat.
- Add onions and peppers.
- saute 5 mins, add broth, water, carrots, tomato paste, basil and blk pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmer 10 mins.
- Remove 1 cup liquid.
- Mash garlic into the liquid.
- Stir into the pot.
- Add escarole (greens) and simmer 7 mins.
- Add broccoli, cover and turn off heat.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and stir into the soup.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Pour into bowls and pass the parmesan!