Very yummy soup! Good for what ails you! Low cal, easy to make. Recipe came from Prevention Magazine.
- 1 garlic head, seperated and peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (sodium reduced)
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded escarole (, I use Kale "or" Spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup small shell pasta (shells, macaroni etc)
- salt (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Allow garlic to sit for 15 mins.
- Then wrap garlic in foil and place in a small casserole.
- Bake 45 to 50 mins or until soft when squeezed.
- Warm oil in a soup pot over med heat.
- Add onions and peppers.
- saute 5 mins, add broth, water, carrots, tomato paste, basil and blk pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmer 10 mins.
- Remove 1 cup liquid.
- Mash garlic into the liquid.
- Stir into the pot.
- Add escarole (greens) and simmer 7 mins.
- Add broccoli, cover and turn off heat.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and stir into the soup.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Pour into bowls and pass the parmesan!
The soup was very ordinary for us. The roasted garlic flavor did not come through much. Sorry...
Simply delish! The aroma of the garlic baking was lovely. I will admit, I am a garlicaholic, and I used 2 whole heads. I used spinach and also about 1/8 of a cup of red wine, just because I had it around and I wanted to use it up. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful comforting soup.
This is a bit of a strange review because I did leave out two ingredients Kale & Broccoli however I checked with Meowna before posting this review & the picture she said please go ahead & post. The soup was delicious, the roasted garlic gave it a mellow warm flavor. I love Kale & broccoli in soup but did have them on hand so went ahead without them. I will make this soup again with all the ingredients but it was delicious even without them. Thanks Meowna for a cold day heart warmer