Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dressing also works well as a marinade for pork tenderloin or chicken. Everything can be made up ahead of time for last minute assembling.
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 8 cups romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 1 tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Using a knife, slice off 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the top of unpeeled garlic head to expose cloves. Place garlic in a small dish and drizzle with 1/2 tsp oil. Cover with foil, then bake in oven until garlic feels soft when pressed, 25 - 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. The recipe only calls for 5 - 6 cloves. Use the rest for other dishes.
- Mash 6 cloves with a fork. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk in remaining oil, vinegar and enough water for a dressing consistency. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce with tomatoes and cucmber. Toss with dressing. Add olives and cheese and toss again.
I used this dressing for Salmon Pasta Salad and it was delicious. I just put all the ingedients in the food processor and blended it until it was fairly smooth. It is a thick dressing, but it thins out perfectly when it hits pasta (or lettuce). The flavor was wonderful and I enjoyed using the roasted garlic for a pleasant change. I'm looking forward to using it as a marinade because I think it would be wonderful. Thanks so much!