Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I love this stuff!! Uses are endless! In sauces, on pasta and pizza, in marinades, on bruschetta, mixed in with mashed potatoes, soups, on meats and so on! It is supposed to keep up to 3 months in the fridge...but my jar never lasts that long! This will make approx 1 1/2 cups.
- 10 whole heads of garlic
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil, to top up
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the outside layer of skin from the garlic, leave the bulbs intact.
- Cut approx a 3/4 inch of each garlic head and place in an oven-proof dish that will fit all ten of them.
- Pour the olive oil over the exposed flesh.
- Sprinkle oregano over the garlic and a grinding of salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil tightly (or with a lid) and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until very soft (its important to have it covered completely!).
- Let them cool for a while, then remove the cloves from their husks into a bowl, also any oil from the baking dish.
- Add the red pepper and mix well mashing it a bit, adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Transfer to a jar, try not to form air pockets, top with olive oil and seal with the lid.
- Keep in the fridge.
This is a kicked up version of my Roasted Garlic Spread Roasted Garlic Spread. And it is wonderful. I did add fresh rosemary and blended it. I made it 2 days ago and yes it is gone! As in my recipe this can be frozen if you can resist not eating it all! "ROASTED GARLIC" how sweet life is!