Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very quick and flavorful dish. If you like pasta, you'll like couscous.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water or 1 1⁄4 cups broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add couscous, butter and salt.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Topping: In a shallow pan, heat oil.
- Cook garlic until it begins to brown.
- Add rest of spices, cook for 30 second and remove from heat.
- (Alternately, you could use ready made"roasted garlic olive oil", and add the thyme and pepper).
- Mix topping with couscous, serve immediately.
I have never made couscous before and only eaten the box version a family member served me. I had many zucchini s from the garden and was looking for a couscous recipe to use to stuff. I sautéed some finely chopped onion and diced zucchini and parsley to the recipe. I also roasted the garlic loves beforehand in the toaster oven in foil with olive oil. I used a little thyme, as I find the flavor overpowering if used heavily. Very easy to make, although I still found the taste a bit bland for my taste. My son gives 3 stars and he is 14. If I made again I would use chicken stock for sure, but I think this is a good recipe for what couscous is.
This is so wonderful! I love boxed garlic cous cous, but it was so expensive to buy and made small servings. This recipe made WAY better cous cous and was extremely easy to make without being expensive. I will definitely be making this again! (I did substitute garlic powder instead of fresh garlic)
First timer making Couscous. It was easy and tasty! I make it with Grilled Moroccan Chicken and it was a family hit.