Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmmmm Nuuummmmmmmmmmmyy!!!!! Nice served in a hollowed out red or yellow sweet pepper in the centre of a platter of your favourite crudites and/or crackers. (chill time 4 hrs or overnight) from Heart Healthy Cooking by Becel
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, 1% mf
- 1 large bulb of garlic
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (Becel)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs, such as basil,chives,mint or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- Line a sieve with a coffee filter or paper towels, place over a large bowl.
- Turn yogurt into sieve and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or perferably overnight until very thick.
- You should have about 1/4 cup.
- turn thickenefd yogurt into a bowl.
- Preheat overn to 375f degrees.
- Break garlic into cloves (leaving peel on) and place in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Drizzle with oil and add about 1/4 inch water.
- Bake, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until cloves are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Squeeze garlic to remove puree; mash.
- Stir mashed garlic into thickened yogurt along with mayonnaise, cayenne, herbs, and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving or overnight.
- Serve with assorted veggies and bread sticks.
This was PERFECT!!! I used a fat-free greek yogurt, and drained it overnight. I was surprised at the amount of liquid that even the greek yogurt contained. I used a T. of full fat mayo, the roasted garlic head, some fresh basil and chives from the garden, sea salt, pepper, and the pinch of cayenne. The flavor was great immediately after mixing together, and even better after re-chilling, allowing time for the flavors to meld. Derf, my girlfriends will be so impressed that I made this myself! Thanks so much for sharing a wonderful recipe! I'm happy that I found it! :-)
I used fat-free yogurt & light Miracle Whip. I would NOT suggest these changes! The flavor was good, but I think I ruined the consistency. Also, I overcooked my garlic and some moved beyond pasty and became almost crunchy. Yikes!