Recipe by tabasco0697
I had looked all over for a recipe that roasts the garlic and cauliflower before mashing but I couldn't find what I was looking for. So I experimented until this and this was my first attempt at creating the taste I was looking for.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon (diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bacon drippings (reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Core cauliflower and break into small florets.
- Place cauliflower, thyme, minced, rosemary, onion powder, salt, pepper and olive oil in a plastic storage bag and shake well making sure every piece is covered in oil and seasoning.
- Using the butter grease a 2 quart baking dish dump all cauliflower mixture and bake at 425 for 45 minutes shaking the dish every 15 minutes to move all the ingredients around. Bake until fork tender and starting to turn light brown.
- While roasting the cauliflower fry the diced bacon until crisp. Reserve 1/4 teaspoon of the bacon drippings. Transfer bacon to a paper towel covered plate to drain excess grease.
- Once the cauliflower is done roasting transfer to a large, deep mixing bowl. Add the milk and sour cream and the reserved bacon grease and using a fork or potato masher break up the pieces. Then you can use a hand mixer to continue mashing until you have a coarse mash.