Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Pour this rich dressing over wedges of crisp iceberg lettuce or quartered heads of romaine for a wonderful salad.
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 7 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut top 1/2 inch off heads of garlic, exposing cloves.
- Place each on square of foil.
- Drizzle with oil, then enclose in foil.
- Place on oven rack; bake until garlic is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Open foil; cool garlic slightly.
- Hold 1 head of garlic, cut side down, over medium bowl and squeeze, releasing roasted garlic pulp into bowl.
- Repeat with remaining garlic.
- Mash until smooth.
- Whisk in mayonnaise, buttermilk, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill until ready to use, up to 2 days.
YUMMY! Used my processor as LP did but added a couple of extra TBSPs of buttermilk to make it smoother. We used it to dip the ribs, spinach quiche, poppers, & cheesy buttermilk drop biscuits (#106305) in at dinner tonight. Wonderful taste. Even our 4 y/o grandson liked it! Wonder about using smoke roasted garlic... Hmmm!
This is one of those recipes were there's not enough stars. *swoons* I halved the recipe and did pretty much what Leggy Peggy did - roasted my garlic with last night's dinner and whirled everything together in the food processor today. Definitely use good fresh Parmesan - it's a major taste component in the dressing. I took one taste and agreed with LP; buttermilk caesar!
Absolutely divine. I baked the garlic yesterday (when something else was in the oven) and made the dressing today. Rather than mash and whisk, I buzzed everything up in the food processor. I bet you could throw in one or two anchovies, to make it a perfect dressing for a caesar salad. Yummo!