Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
These are addictive little snacks. Crunchy and flavorful BUT actually good for you too! The spicier you get these the better imho! Plus, spicy foods are supposed to increase your metabolism! A reviewer said these made their mouth dry- Guess they might also increase my water intake! :) Make sure to get them good and dry before baking and they will cook more quickly.
Top Review by somebodys_sweet_pea
YUM! These are good and addictive, as other reviews already state! I dry roasted these at 300 degrees for about an hour, giving the pan a good shake every 10-15 minutes. I then sprinkled with a little EVOO, gave the pan a shake. Sprinkled fairly liberally with salt and curry powder, gave the pan a shake. Put in at 350 for just about 10 or so minutes. VOILA! I'm excited to try different seasonings. Also, next time I'll either use very minimal oil, or I may even try sticking with nonstick spray - seems you just need enough moisture to prevent burning and get the seasoning to stick. Will be great on a salad as well... MMM! THANKS!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, heaping
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- cayenne, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain garbanzo's in a strainer and rinse well with cool water. Shake to help remove water. Let sit to drain while proceeding.
- Cover a rimmed cookie sheet or shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour garbanzos on the foil and spread them into a single layer. Take a few sheets of paper towel and gently press over the top of the beans just to remove any extra liquid- speeds cooking time too.
- Spray top of beans with cooking spray and sprinkle seasonings over the beans. Shake pan to help distribute the seasoning and make sure the beans are all in a single layer.
- Place pan in an oven and set to 350 F- no need to preheat. Use lowest rack on oven and return every 15-20 minutes or so to shake the pan so nothing burns. Be gentle or they may spill over the sides. Cook until beans are browned and crispy. About 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour into a plastic bowl with tight fitting lid to cool. Careful they are HOT to the touch!
- Snack away! Keep these stored in the bowl for best freshness or in a ziploc bag.