Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
- 3 large potatoes or 12 small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 3⁄4-1 cup olive oil
- coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium summer squash
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 medium red onions, peeled
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded,cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cut potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Arrange slices in a single layer in a 12 inch by 9 inch baking dish and drizzle lightly with some of the oil.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into ½ inch thick slices, then cut slices crosswise in half.
- Slice zucchini and summer squash in the same manner.
- Core and seed peppers, cut into ½ inch thick rings, and then in half to make half rings.
- Cut red onion into ¼ inch thick, half circles.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To form a rainbow of colors, arrange all the vegetables over potatoes in compact, alternating rows, each vegetable slice standing balanced on its straight edge.
- Drizzle the vegetables with about ½ cup oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish very tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1½ hours.
- Remove the foil and insert the tomato wedges between the rows of vegetables.
- Sprinkle basil over the tip and more olive oil if vegetables seem to be drying out.
- Bake the vegetables uncovered 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- Serve warm.
Roast veg is just wonderful. I left out the potatoes as we are not eating potatoes right now but everything else was great will make this again. Made for honor thy mother May 2011.
I love roasted veggies and this was great! A very forgiving recipe as I did not have zucchini & summer squash but subbed carrots and celery. Turned out perfectly delicious! Thanks!