Recipe by spicyperspective
A quick and healthy dinner you'll make again and again! The chopped anchovy (or anchovy paste) provides a pungent earthy depth to the tomato sauce that simply couldn't be reached otherwise--even if it were simmered all day under the watchful eye of an Italian Nana. Don't be tempted to skip the anchovy--it MAKES the dish!
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 -6 anchovy fillets, minced (or 2 tsp. anchovy paste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 white fish fillets
- country bread
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- oil, salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 Tb. of oil, onions and anchovies. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat the fish with a paper towel. Then lightly oil, salt and pepper on both sides. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet for 6-8 minutes--depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Brush the bread with olive oil and toast in the oven for 3-5 minutes. *You could put them on a lower rack with the fish to save time!
- Stack the basil leaves. Roll them into a tight cylinder. Slice them thin into fine ribbons.
- To assemble the bruschetta, top bread with a fish fillets. Then add tomato sauce and sprinkle fresh basil ribbons. Serve immediately.