3 hrs 45 mins
From Carla Hall's Cooking With Love
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 lbs whole beef tenderloin
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1Remove excess fat, chain (the tough narrow muscle running along the tenderloin), and silverskin from the beef, then cut in half crosswise to form two shorter roasts. Tie both pieces in 1 inch intervals with kitchen twine.
- 2In a medium bowl, stir together the mustard, olive oil, garlic, herbs and pepper until smooth. Sprinkle half the salt over the beef, then slather with the mustard mixture. Place the beef in a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- 3Let the beef stand at room temperature for 1 hour before you start cooking. Preheat the oven to 450°F Place a rack in a roasting pan.
- 4Wipe excess marinade off the beef and discard. Sprinkle the remaining salt over the beef. Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add one of the beef pieces and turn to sear on all sides until well browned. Transfer to a roasting pan and repeat with the other piece of beef.
- 5Place the pan in the oven and roast until the internal temperature registers 125 F for medium rare, about 20 minutes. Check the beef after 15 minutes just to be sure.
- 6Remove from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Filet of Beef
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.6
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 160.6 mg
- Sodium 1375.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
extra virgin olive oil