Recipe by Julesong
This simple and flavorful recipe was featured on "Everyday Italian" by Giada De Laurentiis. Goes well with other roasted dishes for dinner such as pork and balsamic pears. The saltiness of the Parmesan goes wonderfully with the sweet, mellow flavor of the roasted fennel.
Top Review by rachelwashere
Very easy recipe! I was weary of the fennel that arrived in my weekly veggie basket because I hate licorice/anise flavors. But this recipe mixed it well with the parmesan so that it wasn't too strong. I think next time I'll try roasting carrots and potatoes with the fennel to mix the flavor a bit more, but as easy and nice as this was I'll definitely make it again.
- 4 fresh bulbs of fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Clean and cut the fennel bulbs: cut them horizontally into 1/3 inch thick slices and reserve the fronds.
- Take the reserved fennel fronds and chop enough of them to make 2 teaspoons; set aside.
- Spray the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Lay the fennel slices in the dish, making sure that all the pieces are touching the bottom so that they roast rather than steam when they're cooking.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then with the Parmesan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F, until the fennel is tender and the Parmesan is golden brown.
- Transfer roasted fennel to serving platter, sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons chopped reserved fennel fronds, and serve.