Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We love eggplant, this is another simple way to fix them. I found that topping the eggplant, after roasting, with slices of Mozzarella cheese is delicious and makes a yummy vegetarian dish.
- 4 Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs, i like italian bread crumbs
- preheat oven to 450 degrees; line a heavy large baking sheet with foil (Release foil works great).
- Cut cross-hatch marks over the cut side of the eggplant; arrange the eggplants and Roma tomatoes cut side UP on the prepared baking sheet; Brush with 2 tablespoons of the oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, 2 teaspoons garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon oregano in a small bowl to blend; stir in the can of diced tomatoes; spoon the oil mixture over the eggplants; sprinkle the eggplants with salt& pepper.
- Stir the bread crumbs, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 teaspoons garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of oregano in another snall bowl to blend; sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the Roma tomatoes.
- Bake until the vegetables are tender and the bread crumb topping is brown, about 30 minutes.
I didnt have japanese eggplant, so I used regular eggplant, buying the smallest ones I could find. I used fresh instead of canned tomato, and italian bread crumbs! I browned the tops and then put a few thin chunks of fresh mozz. cheese on top, and broiled til it was melted and a bit browned. Served this as a vegetarian meal and it was a huge hit. Thanks so much!!!!!