Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From South Beach diet. Phase 1. I've tried this recipe twice and haven't liked it, yet. ... but I really want to! Any suggestions that would keep it South Beach Diet-friendly?
- 2 (16 ounce) eggplants
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Pierce eggplants in 2 or 3 places and place on baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until tender, turning once or twice.
- When cool enough to handle, halve lengthwise an scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/2 to 1/4 inch shell.
- Set shells aside. Chop pulp and let drain in a colander in the sink.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper, cook for 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and beef, stirring to crumble the beef, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir in eggplant pulp, oregano, and tomato sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, salt, and black pepper.
- Place the eggplant shells on a baking sheet and evenly divide the beef mixture among them.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top.