Recipe by Chef AndyPandy
This is my version of what many call "baba ganoush." I learned the Persian version some years back (called 'kashke badamjun') and have played with it over time and adapted it to my tastes. Hopefully you'll do the same.
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced 1/2 thick (plump European variety)
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- In a saute pan, start onions on a low flame in a little olive oil and salt and pepper. You want them to caramelize nicely without burning.
- Place eggplant slices in large bowl and drizzle liberally with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and give a good toss (trick: works well in clean plastic bag, such as [gasp] a trash bag. Just pull out the slices for roasting and toss the bag.).
- Place seasoned eggplant on baking sheets in single layer and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- When onions are near done add the garlic.
- In food processor, add all of the ingredients and pulse a couple times.
- Taste to adjust seasoning, then pulse to desired consistency (I like it a little chunky so I know I'm eating eggplant). You may adjust consistency by drizzling in olive oil while pulsing.
- Very good with crusty bread or pita or crackers or to stuff roasted tomatoes. Enjoy.