Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
We love this in our family and now we make it for the residents here at the home. They usually eat it is a side. This was originally from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, seeded
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut eggplant, peppers and onion into 1" cubes.
- Toss in large bowl with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 45 minutes, until vegetables are lightly browned and soft, tossing once during cooking.
- Cool slightly.
- Place in food processor with steel blade, add tomato paste(if using) and pulse 3-4 times to blend.
- Taste for salt & pepper.
- Serve on toasted pita wedges, toasted crostini or crackers.
This was excellent. Living in Israel, there is a whole refrigerated section of different eggplant spreads. I will not need to visit it again, this was more than perfect! I went a little heavy and tripled the garlic. Thank you for posting!
This is a staple for me. It's easy to make, good over pasta, and as a dip. It's great for company too. People love it.