A healthy version to something usually called "eggplant rolatini" in italian restaurants. Very filling! And the robust flavors of this dish will will have your family asking for this on a regular basis. And it was found in Prevention Magazine, so you KNOW it's good for you!!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise (1/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese (or reduced fat)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil on the sliced eggplant, and roast it until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Saute the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon of the oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (with the juice), and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, spinach, mozzarella, basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Add salt and peper to taste.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon the cheese mixture on each slice of the eggplant, and roll up like a jelly roll.
- Place the eggplant in the dish.
- Continue until all the eggplant is used.
- Top with the tomato sauce, and bake for 30 minutes.