Recipe by nnreq
Great light appetizer or snack.
Top Review by nomnom
I had one medium eggplant and one CJUMBO-sized eggplant - so I ended up with 30 slices. All I did was use 1.5 recipes for the filling and filled each roll with 1/2 tsp filling (which was sufficient, it practically squited out the sides ;). Delicious! Great combo or flavors. I love eggplant, love sun-dried tomatoes, love oregano. I used lite firm tofu in place of the cream cheese and omitted the olive oil and lemon. Filling and eggplants can be made ahead and stored separately and assembled later. I used the gazpacho by-product from my Rainbow Roasted Salsa as a dip (I used a habanero for it - oh boy). I will certainly enjoy these leftovers.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fat free cream cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 1 green onion
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 medium spinach leaves, washed, stemmed and dried
- 1 cup of bottled spaghetti sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray 2 nonstick baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Trim ends from eggplants; cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Discard outside slices that are mostly skin.
- (you will have about 16 slices).
- Combine lemon juice and olive oil in small bowl; brush lightly over both sides of eggplant slices.
- Arrange slices in single layer on baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly golden brown on bottom.
- Turn slices over and bake 10 to 12 minutes more or until golden on both sides and tender (slices may not brown evenly; turn slices as they brown. Some very dark spots will occur).
- Transfer slices to plate; cool.
- Meanwhile, stlr cream cheese in small bowl until smooth.
- Add sour cream, green onion, tomatoes, garlic, oregano and pepper; stir until blended.
- Place eggplant slices on work surface; spread about 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture evenly over each slice.
- Arrange spinach leaves on to leavign 1/2 inch boarder.
- Roll up, beginning at narrower end; aly rolls seam side down on servign platter.
- (if making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving).
- Serve with warn spaghetti sauce.