Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe given in Gourmet Magazine. Active time: Start to finish: 2 hr
- 3⁄4 lb eggplant, left unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Toss eggplant with two tablespoons of salt and let drain for 1 hour. Rinse off salt and pat dry with paper towells.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Toss vegetables with garlic, oil, 3/4 tsp salt, and pepper in a bowl, then spread in an oiled large shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pan. Roast vegetables in middle of oven, stirring occasionally, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack and stir in basil.
- Makes 6 servings.
This is very good; however, there is no way it will serve 6. I got 3 nice servings that went very well with Grilled Swordfish Steaks. I did not have fresh basil but did stir in some fresh oregano. The vegetables were crisp tender in about 15 minutes.
Wow, Dh practically inhaled this. He even ate most of my portion (with my permission). I only used 1T of oil and 1/4tsp of salt. This was a hit with the guy at my house, Phil.
We loved this and found it a perfect use of fresh from the garden veggies. The flavors are superb and I'll make this again & again. I was lucky enough to have very small eggplant so simply sliced into thin lengthwise thirds. I also added a few tiny gold potatoes, a yellow squash, and a handful of green beans to the pan. Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe!