Recipe by Phil Franco
Adapted from a recipe given in Gourmet Magazine. Active time: Start to finish: 2 hr
Top Review by PaulaG
This is very good; however, there is no way it will serve 6. I got 3 nice servings that went very well with recipe #57135. I did not have fresh basil but did stir in some fresh oregano. The vegetables were crisp tender in about 15 minutes.
- 3⁄4 lb eggplant, left unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss eggplant with two tablespoons of salt and let drain for 1 hour. Rinse off salt and pat dry with paper towells.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Toss vegetables with garlic, oil, 3/4 tsp salt, and pepper in a bowl, then spread in an oiled large shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pan. Roast vegetables in middle of oven, stirring occasionally, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack and stir in basil.
- Makes 6 servings.