Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have also used an Italian dressing with this to good results.(We've also used this as an appetizer with chips and crackers)
- 2 eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices (2 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 8 garlic cloves, large, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 pita bread rounds, warm, cut into wedges
- Position rack in top third of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Spray large heavy baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine the eggplant, peppers, garlic and olive oil in a large bowl. Toss well.
- Transfer to the prepared sheet. Bake until eggplant is brown and the peppers are tender, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Scape vegetables and pan juices into a bowl, saving the garlic for the dressing.
- Combine the vinegar, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a food processor.
- Peel the roasted garlic, add to the food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Toss the vegetables with 1/4 cup of the dressing.
- Cool, and let sit for a while to let the flavors develop.
- To serve: Bring to room temperature. Mound salad in center of large platter.
- Serve with the pita wedges.
Very easy recipe to use as a base for your imagination. I added chopped jalapenos and pureed it for a spread to use over toasted, pita triangles.
Oh la la! I tried this recipe and loved it! Next time I would serve it hot or cold, not at room temperature. The spices are exquisite. Merci Mary! I am going to make it again tonight.