Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw Giada make something similar to this, I just adapted it to our liking. It's a great way to get in a few extra vegetables. The measurements are estimates so feel free to use your judgment. I had fresh herbs on hand also, but if you don't you can substitute dried instead.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 473.19 ml cherry tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 29.58-44.37 ml toasted pine nuts
- 226.79 g rigatoni pasta
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the eggplant, cherry tomatoes, garlic, 2 Tb olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Spread the vegetables out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the vegetables are tender and the eggplant is golden, about 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, place the pine nuts in a small baking dish. Place in the oven on the rack below the vegetables. Roast until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta into a large bowl and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Transfer about half the roasted vegetables to a food processor. Add extra-virgin olive oil (about 2 Tb) and puree(I like to have a little texture in my pasta so I didn't puree all of the vegetables).
- Transfer the pureed vegetables (and vegetables that you did not puree) to the bowl with the pasta and add the Parmesan and Ricotta. Stir to combine, adding the pasta cooking liquid 1/2 cup at a time until the pasta is saucy. Sprinkle the pine nuts and parsley over the top and serve.