Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Roasting eggplant pieces and cherry tomatoes gives them an amazing texture and flavour. When tossed with pasta, more veggies, and a good bleu cheese, you get an amazing combination of tastes and textures. Perfect for a cold night when you want something tasty but not too heavy!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (or to taste)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 150 -180 g whole wheat penne (depending on how hungry you are!) or 150 -180 g rotini pasta (depending on how hungry you are!)
- 400 g eggplants
- 300 g cherry tomatoes (red and yellow if you can find them)
- 100 g white onions, halved and sliced thinly into half moons
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts (about 3 hearts or serving)
- 60 g blue cheese, such as English Stilton (crumbled)
- red pepper flakes or balsamic vinegar, to taste
- chicken or sausage or soy mincemeat or cannellini beans
- heat oven to 400º.
- On an oiled cookie sheet try with sides, lay out the sliced eggplant, do not overlap the pieces.
- salt and pepper the pieces on one side, then turn over and salt and pepper the other side.
- put the tomatoes on the tray as well, salt and pepper them too.
- Drizzle more oil lightly over the veggies.
- Put in oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- turn the eggplant over and stir tomatoes halfway through.
- You will know they are done when the tomatoes have all collapsed and the edges are a bit charred on the eggplant and tomatoes.
- Remove from oven and set to side.
- 10 minutes before removing vegetables from oven, boil water to cook your pasta.
- Heat a pan and saute onion and garlic until the onion gets soft and start browning (about 7 minutes).
- add the artichoke heart and cook until heated through and onions are slightly browned (about 3 more minutes).
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of pasta water.
- Cut the eggplant into strips.
- Add the pasta, eggplant, and tomatoes to the pan with the onions. toss together, adding some pasta water if it is very dry.
- remove from heat and add arugula and cheese, toss together (you can also add red pepper flakes and some balsamic vinegar now if you want).
- If wanted, add protein of choice: Chicken, sausage, soy mince, or cannellini beans.
- Also, feelf ree to play with the vegetables. This would be tasty with some sauteed mushrooms, roasted red peppers, or roasted asparagus as well.
Incredibly delicious dish! If you are an eggplant lover -- this dish is for you. I loved the combination of artichokes, tomatoes and blue cheese along with the eggplant and pasta. I did not use whole wheat pasta as it never seems to get tender enough for me; otherwise I made the recipe as is. I think the optional cannelini beans would also be a great addition. Made for PAC, 2011.