Recipe by Baked Therapy
Roasting eggplant pieces and cherry tomatoes gives them an amazing texture and flavour. When tossed with pasta, more veggies, and a good bleu cheese, you get an amazing combination of tastes and textures. Perfect for a cold night when you want something tasty but not too heavy!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Incredibly delicious dish! If you are an eggplant lover -- this dish is for you. I loved the combination of artichokes, tomatoes and blue cheese along with the eggplant and pasta. I did not use whole wheat pasta as it never seems to get tender enough for me; otherwise I made the recipe as is. I think the optional cannelini beans would also be a great addition. Made for PAC, 2011.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (or to taste)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 150 -180 g whole wheat penne (depending on how hungry you are!) or 150 -180 g rotini pasta (depending on how hungry you are!)
- 400 g eggplants
- 300 g cherry tomatoes (red and yellow if you can find them)
- 100 g white onions, halved and sliced thinly into half moons
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts (about 3 hearts or serving)
- 60 g blue cheese, such as English Stilton (crumbled)
- red pepper flakes or balsamic vinegar, to taste
- chicken or sausage or soy mincemeat or cannellini beans
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 400º.
- On an oiled cookie sheet try with sides, lay out the sliced eggplant, do not overlap the pieces.
- salt and pepper the pieces on one side, then turn over and salt and pepper the other side.
- put the tomatoes on the tray as well, salt and pepper them too.
- Drizzle more oil lightly over the veggies.
- Put in oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- turn the eggplant over and stir tomatoes halfway through.
- You will know they are done when the tomatoes have all collapsed and the edges are a bit charred on the eggplant and tomatoes.
- Remove from oven and set to side.
- 10 minutes before removing vegetables from oven, boil water to cook your pasta.
- Heat a pan and saute onion and garlic until the onion gets soft and start browning (about 7 minutes).
- add the artichoke heart and cook until heated through and onions are slightly browned (about 3 more minutes).
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of pasta water.
- Cut the eggplant into strips.
- Add the pasta, eggplant, and tomatoes to the pan with the onions. toss together, adding some pasta water if it is very dry.
- remove from heat and add arugula and cheese, toss together (you can also add red pepper flakes and some balsamic vinegar now if you want).
- If wanted, add protein of choice: Chicken, sausage, soy mince, or cannellini beans.
- Also, feelf ree to play with the vegetables. This would be tasty with some sauteed mushrooms, roasted red peppers, or roasted asparagus as well.