Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
What? Did I really mess with such a traditional recipe as baba ganouj? oh yeah I did! Turned out really tasty too! I
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees Farenheit, remove one clove of garlic from the head and place the rest of the head on a cookie sheet with the eggplant.
- Roast eggplant and garlic until both are soft, garlic will take about 15 minutes eggplant about 25 (estimate).
- Meanwhile, char the outside of the poblano peppers either over gas flame of your stove, on the grill, or under the broiler.
- Place charred peppers in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and allow to rest.
- Remove the roasted garlic from the skins and set aside.
- when cool enough to handle, remove skin and seeds from the roasted poblanos (please don't rinse them under water, if there's a few seeds or pieces of skin, it's FINE).
- remove eggplant from oven and split open. I find the easiest way to get the flesh out is to break it in half turn the cut side onto the cookie sheet and peel back the skin.
- Put the flesh into a colander or sieve to allow some of the moisture to drain.
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend to smooth. check taste and adjust salt/pepper/lime juice to your liking.