Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my favorite lentil dishes. It is hearty and flavorful and makes an excellent vegetarian main dish. You could make it a vegan dish by using soy cheese instead of mozzarella. If you're using fresh herbs instead of dried, use half as much.
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- On an oiled cookie sheet, roast the eggplant, onion, and bell pepper at 425 for about 30 minutes (turning at least once).
- Meanwhile, bring the vegetable broth (or water) to a boil. Add the seasonings, rice and lentils. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until tender. It should still be a little soupy.
- Stir vegetables, rice and lentils, and olive oil together with 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Spread into 9x13 pan and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.
Yum! The only thing I did differently was substitute basil for the mint (because I didn't have it on hand). This was delicious. I was worried it was too wet when I put it in the oven, but during baking, the extra moisture absorbed into the rice. Delicious and I will definitely be making it again. Thanks!