Recipe by Susiecat too
This is a Greek recipe. This can be used to top a salad of baby spinach or other greens, pasta, couscous or any other similar thing. Or, scoop it up on small bites of good crusty bread, or serve as a variation of eggplant bruschetta. It can be served as an appetizer, a side dish, or a meatless main course.
- 3 eggplants, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped
- fresh oregano sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place eggplant cubes in a shallow baking pan; toss with 1/2 cup olive oil, salt to taste, bake until cubes are soft but not mushy -- about 30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, onion, garlic, and oregano in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss about half the dressing with eggplant.
- Put eggplant mixture on top of salad leaves, cooked pasta, couscous or slices of bread or toasts.
- Sprinkle with cheese and olives, drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs if desired.