1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from: "Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen". "This soup can be served hot, tepid, or chilled-- its flavors perhaps optimal at room temperature. It won't win any beauty contests--eggplant makes everything a bit dull looking--but leaving some texture in the soup helps, along with the swirl of yogurt and a perfect sprig or two of cilantro. In any case, the flavors will win kudos, and that's what counts."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into large chunks (preferably small lighter-skinned varieties)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 4 tomatoes, cut into large chunks (about 1 pound)
- 5 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 oregano sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 slices gingerroot, freshly peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 1 cup yogurt (such as Pavels, a thin whole-milk yogurt)
- fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Toss eggplant, peppers, onion, tomatoes, garlic, herbs, oil and salt together.
- 3Place in a large baking dish. Roast until browned and fragrant, about 1 hour, turning 2-3 times while they're roasting.
- 4Transfer roasted vegetables to a soup pot.
- 5Add 1 cup water to the dish they baked in, scrape up the caramelized juices, and add to pot along with cumin and ginger.
- 6Pour in another 6 cups water, the cilantro, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- 7Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are fully tender, 20 minutes or so.
- 8Let cool slightly, then puree, leaving a little texture. I would use an immersion blender here.
- 9Stir in the lime juice and pour into serving bowl.
- 10Swirl in the yogurt.
- 11Serve garnished with sprigs of cilantro.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Eggplant and Bell Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.3
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.9 mg
- Sodium 173.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs