This is Mom's version of roasted curry powder. I've been using this for years. Its best when its fresh. It can be used to make all kinds of curries; chicken, fish, beef, shrimp, vegetable, etc. Use this whenever you need curry powder in recipes. Make sure you leave windows open when you are preparing this since the fumes that are created during the roasting process can make you cough and there might be some smoke. It can be stored in an air tight container for months (mine lasts about 3 months).
My Private Note
pound c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set your burner on low heat, place a wok, or a pan and let it heat for about 2 minutes.
- 2Roast coriander, fennel, cumin separately.
- 3Stir with a wooden spatula as you roast them.
- 4This helps the seeds to roast evenly.
- 5Do not let them burn, when the seeds turn slightly brown (takes about 5-6 minutes), transfer them to a bowl.
- 6Roast chillie, peppercorn, cardamom, cloves and turmeric for about 2 minutes.
- 7Add the rest of the roasted spices into the wok and roast for 1 minute while mixing all the ingredients well.
- 8Turn off the burner and let the spices cool for about 5 minutes.
- 9Grind the spices in small batches in a coffee grinder.
- 10(I usually have two coffee grinders, one for grinding spice, and the other for coffee. You can use the same if you would like to have spicy curry coffee) The amount of grinding depends of how fine or coarse you want the powder to be.
- 11If you want it to be a fine powder grind it longer.
- 12Transfer the curry powder to an air tight container.
- 13If you would like to make smaller batches use smaller ratios for the coriander, fennel, cumin.
- 14Try to stick to the 4:2:2 ratio.
- 15Adjust the rest of the ingredients to fit to the amount of spice you need.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Curry Powder
Serving Size: 1 (1358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2018.4
- Calories from Fat 710
- Total Fat 78.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 645.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 333.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 138.2 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 93.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: