Recipe by COOKGIRl
Take a soup recipe from one source, in this case, verybestbaking.com and twist, shake, stir. Good comfort food for those long winter days. A soup recipe for me that always seems to be in transition.
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (As a suggestion, I use a combination of mushrooms, for example, creminis, shiitakes, and portobellas)
- 2 cups fresh stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely minced
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 8 ounces whole milk
- 4 ounces whipping cream
- white pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- fresh bay leaf
- garlic chives (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Roast the whole mushrooms by spreading onto baking sheet. (You can also roast the garlic if you wish.) Drizzle with olive oil and roast about 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Set aside. (See recipe #64092 for reference. I roast the mushrooms at a reduced temperature to avoid burning.).
- Once cooled, dice up mushrooms and mince garlic.
- Whisk the flour with the milk and whipping cream. Saute the onions (and garlic) in the butter.
- Stove top method: In large soup pan, saute the onions (and garlic) in the butter. Next, add all the ingredients including the milk/flour mixture, roasted mushrooms, stock, etc. except for the garlic chives.
- Simmer on low/medium-low on the stove for about 45 minutes or until the mushroom are soft. Do not burn!
- Crockpot method: Add all the ingredients except for the flour/milk mixture and garlic chives and cook on LOW in the crockpot for approximately 3-4 hours or until heated through and mushrooms are soft. About 30 minutes before serving, whisk in the flour/milk mixture and incorporate well. Heat thoroughly but do not burn.
- If soup is too thin, ladle about a cup of the soup into a small bowl, whisk in a little flour then return soup to the pot and stir in well. If soup is too thick, add more stock- about a half cup at a time to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Garnish each serving with fresh garlic chives.