Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I found this delicious recipe in the Chicago Tribune. I served it with rolls and a green salad and it was very satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 red chilies, seeds removed, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 ears corn, roasted, kernels removed, cobs and kernels reserved
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 corn tortillas, toasted, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 limes, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- diced avocado (optional)
- diced tomato (optional)
- diced onion (optional)
- fried corn tortilla strips (optional)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute, add paprika, cumin, chilies and pepper, cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add corn cobs, chicken, tortilla pieces, tomatoes and broth; heat to boil, lower heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken to a platter; cool briefly.
- Pull the meat from the bones; discard bones and skin, reserve meat.
- Strain the soup into a large bowl; pour back into the pot and add lime juice, cilantro and salt.
- Portion chicken meat and corn kernels into serving bowls; ladle soup over.
- Add optional garnishes at the table.
- *roastears of corn in a 400° oven, turning often until they start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- *toasttortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat until starting to brown, about 30 seconds on each side.
A friend recommended this recipe and it was absolutely delicious!! Followed the directions and kept all the ingredients. The only thing that I did differently was I added more limes than what was recommended. I used four limes instead of two. I took to a dinner party and there were no leftovers to take home :( Will make again for sure.