Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this Carribean recipe on another recipe website and am posting it here. Will try it soon.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels (from 3 ears)
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo, drained and chopped (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in mango, beans, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chipotle pepper, cilantro, cumin, and salt.
- Serve at room temperature.
- TIP: Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Serve at room temperature.
I really enjoyed this recipe, but did think it tasted better after sitting overnight to help flavors meld. I unfortunately had no fresh cilantro (love cilantro!), so had to leave that out. Went well for a side to Mexican food dinner and was relatively quick to put together. Made for I recommend tag game.
Did have to tweak the ingredients just a little (well, I guess that depends on who you are, whether or not it was a 'little') ~ I used 2 tablespoons of green chilies instead of the chipotle chile & cut the cumin back to 1/8 teaspoon! Still, this salad (or at least the one I made!) had great taste & was actually a hit with the neighbors, too, so . . . [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]