From Rival Versaware Crock Pot Owner's Manual and Cookbook, c. 2006.
Make and share this Roasted Corn and Red Pepper Chowder (Crock Pot, Slow Cooker) recipe from Food.com.
- olive oil
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (may sub frozen, thawed corn, if desired)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add the corn, red pepper, and onions. Saute the vegetables until they are tender and lightly browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer sauted vegetables to slow cooker. Add the green onions, broth, potatoes, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low for 7-9 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
- Thirty minutes prior to serving, add the milk and blend well. Garnish with parsley to serve.
I liked this soup! I'm a big fan of potatoes, corn, and red bell pepper and this recipe immediately caught my attention. I used half of a sweet yellow onion instead of the green onion (personal preference), otherwise I followed the exact recipe. Before adding the evaporated milk, I laddled out a few spoon fulls of soup into a bowl and whisked in the milk to avoid currdling. I dumped my mixture back into the crock pot for the suggested 30 minutes. You could even use red or new potatoes if you prefer. My only dislike is that the skins separated off of the red peppers, so they kinda got stuck into my teeth. I'll keep this one in the cookbook!